Alex Cunningham has pledged his support for Gas Safety Week, which runs from 15-21 September, to raise awareness of gas safety issues amongst constituents in Stockton North.
The fourth annual Gas Safety Week will see the whole industry coming together to bring gas safety to the forefront of people’s minds, and the Labour MP is eager to make sure that residents across the Stockton Borough are aware of the potential risks.
Dangerous gas work can kill, so it is vital that gas appliances are safety checked at least once a year. If left unchecked, poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. In the last year alone, 343 people were injured and ten people died as a result of gas related incidents.
“Having spent many years working in the gas industry, I have seen first-hand the devastating consequences of dangerous gas work.
“Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. When I worked in the industry, I used to get knocked out of bed when people were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning – an avoidable tragedy that afflicts thousands of people across the UK each year. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
“Having the experience that I do, I was alarmed to learn that Stockton North is within a ‘danger zone’. Last year, inspections by the Gas Safe Register revealed that one in ten homes in the North East had unsafe gas appliances.
“But incidents caused by unsafe gas work are preventable. By taking proper care of gas appliances, people are also taking care of their homes and their loved ones, and I strongly encourage residents across the Borough to follow the simple checks that could save lives – both during Gas Safety Week and beyond.”
Russell Krämer, Chief Executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s great, therefore, that Alex has pledged his support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let the 23 million gas consumers in the UK know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”