Stockton North MP, Alex Cunningham, has pledged to support the five principles of youth employment and help young people in Stockton North reach their full potential.
Alex signed the “Youth Friendly Charter” while attending the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Youth Employment, committing Alex to the following principles:
- Youth Voice – listening to young people to understand the barriers to employment from their perspective;
- Developing Young People – supporting quality development opportunities and advocating pathways that meet the needs of individuals;
- Creating Opportunities – supporting good quality learning and development opportunities and recognising local Youth Friendly Employers that are leading the way in providing these;
- Recognising Young Talent – championing the role of young people in the local economy and communities;
- Fair Employment – helping to ensure that young people are treated fairly in the work they do.
I was a Councillor and Cabinet Member for Children and Young People on Stockton Borough Council, prior to becoming MP for Stockton North, so I know how important it is that we not only provide good quality development and education opportunities for young people – but make sure that young people play a role in shaping these opportunities.
As a Youth Friendly MP, I will continue to lead the charge for increasing opportunities for youth employment and development, and work with the Council and other organisations to ensure Stockton-on-Tees is a place where all young people can fulfil their potential.